Aims of Teaching Literature
- Learning literature helps us to refine and fine-tune our attitude to life and awareness of the world. The characters and situations that we come across in literature help us become more tolerant and large-hearted. Our selfishness, narrow-minded nationalism and pessimism will give way to an unconditional adherence to universal human values.
- It helps improve the character of students. Literature being the record of the ethical, moral, cultural and imaginative life of man, those who pursue the hidden treasures of literature will be influenced and inspired by it.
- It helps develop a love for literature which in turn cultivates the habit of reading.
- It improves just about every language skill.
- Literature is the key to unlock the mysteries of any culture. So learning the literature of a particular region helps us understand their culture better.
- Learning literature can potentially help a student discover his own hidden talents and enable him realize his creative aspirations. Who knows, for circumstances co-operating, another Shakespeare or Milton may be sitting next to us. As Thomas Gray sings, “Full many a gem of purest ray serene, The dark unfathom’d caves of ocean bear.”
Copyright © Manu Mangattu, Assistant Professor, Department of English, SGC Aruvithura
Provide your Feedback/Suggestion/Requests for notes to firstname.lastname@example.org